Friday, February 6, 2009

2/06/09: Sarah Relapses Again?

Sarah has her blood checked every Monday and Thursday. The results from her blood work Thursday indicate she has likely relapsed.

We took Sarah to Dartmouth today so her doctors could do some more blood work and confirm a relapse. Susan and I told the doctors we wanted them to focus on getting Sarah back into remission and continue moving towards a 2nd BMT. Hospice palliative care was not going to be one of our options. We see a future for and with Sarah. God has given Sarah the strength to weather a lot of adversity and come out right on top of her game. I am mightily impressed with what God has done and shown us. I am at also mightily impressed with my daughter overcoming everything that keeps coming her way. Susan and I will stand with God and lift our daughter up every step of the way.

The doctors were giving us a moderate chemotherapy and very aggressive chemotherapy options. Early in the day, they suggested we go with the moderate and use the aggressive chemo as a fallback position. The doctors changed positions (to the aggressive chemo) when Sarah’s blood work results came in though. Sarah’s blast count had climbed a lot within one day and they were pretty concerned. Sarah was admitted to the hospital and the plan is to start the aggressive chemotherapy Saturday. The doctors are conducting one more blood test (flow cytometry) to confirm that Sarah should begin the aggressive chemotherapy sometime Saturday.

The 2nd BMT is on hold until remission is held for 3 – 4 months.

Please pray the aggressive chemotherapy will not be necessary and that Sarah’s stay in the hospital will be short.

Ephesians 6:13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan and Ben,

I am so sorry to hear of Sarah's relapse. I wanted to call you this evening, but thought I would check the blog to see if I was up to date first. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Sarah is a strong little fighter, and you are a remarkable family. Continue to stay strong.

Donna Oaks