Friday, February 20, 2009

2-20-09: Flag Fails

Dr. Chaffee told Susan and me that the FLAG chemo treatment failed today.

Sarah's white blood cell count had been rising slightly over the last few days, still well below normal values. Not unexpected or alarming until blasts were detected today. Dr. Chaffee said about half of the blasts were leukemic after detailed review of the blasts. Sarah's blood counts (WBC, RBC and Platelets) have not recovered as of today.

As you know, Susan and I had hoped the FLAG would get Sarah to a stable remission and into her 2nd BMT some months later. Another treatment behind us, but not the right one...

So what are we going to do next? We are going to continue to have hope for our daughters recovery. We are going to continue fighting for our daughters life. We are going to continue to have faith in Gods goodness and mercy. We are going to continue praying.

Dr. Chaffee discussed revisiting the treatment that got Sarah to remission in December albeit not a lasting remission. I have a tendency to agree. Susan and I will pray and then make some decision tomorrow and move forward.

Sarah is a wonderful child. She is full of energy and life (even now) sharing it with everyone, not just her immediate family. We are all heartened by the gift of her presence and love. She tells Susan, me and the other children "I love you" out of the blue for no apparent reason and without reservation. In fact, I think she has told me "I love you" more than any single other person on earth (except for my amazing wife). I guess when you demonstrate love for someone with your whole heart, it comes back to you.

Thank you for your prayers over the past year and thank you for those in your heart that are continuing for Sarah.


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2-17-09: Fever and Back to the Hospital

Sarah developed a fever of ~101.7F tonight. She was nursing a low level fever during the day and made it to the >100.4F value required for another hospital stay. The chemo she's been on (FLAG) really knocked her blood counts down including her bodies immune system. The doctors told us to expect her to return to the hospital with a fever sometime this week. They were spot-on.

Sarah has had chemo-induced fevers before resulting in 3-4 days in the hospital. Generally, the cause of the fevers isn't determined and she heads home. We are hopeful that's the case this time too. Susan, Katie, Asa and Sarah headed up to Dartmouth tonight around 9:30pm. I will replace Susan Thursday and stay at the hospital until Sunday unless Sarah is released before Sunday.

I know a lot of folks have challenges greater than ours, but I sure am tired. Maybe I should start weight training again. It does wonders for fatigue and mental exhaustion. Something to think about while I'm eating all that delicious hospital food this weekend.

Continue to keep Sarah in your prayers.