Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day +68: Proactive Relapse Treatment

Sarah is doing super this week. She hasn't put on any weight this week, but she's eating noticeably more food. Still not much fluid intact so she's still on overnight hydration via pump. Susan talked with Dr. Wang (Sarah's Dana Farber Fellow) about dropping her overnight fluid intake by half. Apparently, Sarah's liver tests are coming back good. She is playing more and interacting with us more and more. She is not at all like she was before her diagnosis, but it's great to see her recovering and feeling so much better after the BMT. Spending time with her during her BMT low period puts a new perspective on a lot of things.

Susan and I both took Sarah to her weekly Tuesday visit to Dana-Farber yesterday. The medical team discussed some options with us regarding relapse mitigation and prevention. Primary on the table was reducing Sarah's likelihood of relapse. PH+ children have a fairly high relapse rate after BMT's. There are not any widely accepted prophylactic treatments for relapse of PH+ children after BMT's. That said, one option that has shown promise and some level of efficacy is the use of Gleevec (Imatinib) as a prophylactic for relapse. The doctors at Dana-Farber and Dartmouth-Hitchcock are willing to support this approach if Susan and I feel this would be best for Sarah. I called the principal investigator of the Gleevec prophylactic study today and after talking with Susan decided we would take this approach.

A relapse of Sarah's cancer would set off a chain of events that are more difficult than Susan and I want to think about. To paraphrase something I've heard said, "My fields are plowed and seeded and now I'll wait for God to provide the rain".

With Sarah doing so well, I feel selfish saying it, but the stress has been kind of high in our home since she has returned from the BMT. Susan and I both recognize this and I think that's half the battle of dealing with the stress. I know that Susan is trying and that encourages me to do the same. Please pray that we are able to support each other and our children too.

-Ben
1 Chronicles 28:20

No comments: